Sunday, June 5, 2011

Magnetic Words

This is my second post on making something for the fridge, but hey its a giant surface that you stick all kinds of things to, as long as they are magnetic. For a while I have wanted to make my own words on magnets for our fridge. Why? 1) Its cheaper to make them then to by an already made kit 2) if you make it yourself it is tailored to your own personality AND 3) I love making things. I made some magnetic words for our house but I will also be making another set tonight for someone else tonight.

This pdf was helpful to get my set started  How to....  and here.

Here's what you need:
-A computer, printer, & a word program (unless you want to write them out with pen or perm. marker)
-A magnetic sheet (I used Adhes-A-Mag Magnetic Adhesive Sheet which is 12 x 24 in.). I got it from Michael's because I already had a gift card there. If I didn't have the gift card, I would have bought 8 x 11 sheets on the oriental trading post website
-Computer paper
-Scissors
-An imagination

The Steps....
1) Open a Word document (or whatever program you choose to use) and change the settings. I changed the page margins to .4 & the page setup as landscape. After each word I hit the space bar 4 times before typing another word to leave enough space to cut. I also made the spacing between each line 1.5 (its normally 1).
2) Add you words. This is completely up to you as to what words you use, which is why it is fun! Go to the link that I provided above. You at least need to make sure that you get a mix of nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, exclamations, and articles. I also added things such as our names, our nicknames, our pets names, some of my favorite words (awesome, sweet, etc), some of my husband's favorite words (and some of them I left out because I want our fridge to be at a NC-17 level :) To make things fun for my hubby, I also looked up some lingo for his favorite movies. To do that, I just went to google & typed "Harry Potter lingo","Star Wars Lingo" etc. I also added a few things from Jersey Shore such as "blast in a glass", "walking holiday", and "situation". I included words from recent pop culture, thanks to Charlie Sheen that have regained popularity "troll", "warlock", and "tigerblood" to make it fun for our guests.
3) After looking over your document, print out your words. I only used one page to fit all of my magnet words, by the way. Then, peel off the paper on the adhesive magnet, carfully place your computer paper on the sticky side of the magnet, smooth out, and cut out your words. 

 4) Put your words on your fridge! I used the top door so that they were at eye level. 
5) Express yourself!
My hope is that my hubby & I, as well as our guests will have fun creating messages on the fridge while we happen to be in the kitchen. Our kitchen seems to be a popular place, so it is fitting to be a message center as well!

*My little disclaimer Here's the deal: There may be some grammatical errors in my post today, but I honestly feel too lazy to go through & look for them today!

Enjoy!

-Alex

 

No comments:

Post a Comment